Multilingualism Day Tours at the House of European History
Join one of our tours at the House of European History, which will take a look at the history of languages in Europe, through anecdotes and objects in the exhibition, revealing how languages have shaped the continent’s rich diversity.
- 11.00: Dutch & French
- 12.00: English & German
- 13.00: Dutch & French
- 14.00: English & German
- 15.00: Dutch & French
- 16.00: English & German
Register by sending an email to email@example.com or on the day at the museum desk.
Online workshops (Friday 23/09 and Saturday 24/09)
Dive deeper into interpretation and translation in these interactive workshops. The online sessions cover various aspects of working as a language professional at the European Parliament and are a great opportunity to get your questions answered!
The workshops are limited to small groups, so registration is mandatory and places are filled on a first come, first served basis. Once registered, you will receive a confirmation email with details on how to take part. Sessions last between 30 and 60 minutes and will be held in a variety of languages. Some of them may be recorded.
Registration opens on 1 September 2022 – book your spot here.
Events at the European Parliament in Brussels (Saturday 24/09)
Explore multilingualism through fun activities.
- Photo booth: get your multilingualism day souvenir
- “Write and translate clearly for multimedia content” workshop: discover how to adapt written content for various media formats in a clear and citizen-friendly way, then record it in our professional audio booth!
- My House of European History recording corner: take a seat and add your European story to this collaborative history project
- Kids’ corner: face painting, temporary tattoos and multilingual language games and books
- Interpretation booths: try your hand at interpreting
- Translation games: have fun while testing your language skills!
- Translation and clear language workshops: try your hand at translating with our expert translators and/or learn the basics of clear language in these interactive sessions.
*Registration at entrance required – first come, first served.
Experience the European Parliament Hemicycle (10.30-17.30, every 30 minutes)
Discover where debates and votes take place. Multilingual presentations with Q&A (fourth floor).
Talks with interpreters and translators (10.30-17.00)
Gain more insight into interpretation and translation with these 30-minute talks about the different facets of the two professions and multilingualism in general. All talks will be interpreted into Dutch, English, French, German and Italian.
10.30 – 11.00 How to become a translator?
11.00 – 11.30 How to become an interpreter?
11.30 – 12.00 A day in the life of a translator: tips and tricks
12.00 – 12.30 Interpreting – tricks of the trade
12.30 – 13.00 24 EU official languages?! What’s the point?
Panel discussion with Valter Mavrič, Agnieszka Walter-Drop
and Jaume Duch Guillot, Heads of the translation, interpretation and
communication services of the European Parliament
13.30 - 14.15 Traineeships at the European Parliament’s translation and interpretation services (without interpretation)
14.30 – 15.00 How to become an interpreter?
15.00 – 15.30 How to become a translator?
15.30 – 16.00 Interpreting - tricks of the trade
16.00 – 16.30 A day in the life of a translator: tips and tricks
16.30 – 17.00 To be a translator or an interpreter? – That is the question!
Talks will be audio recorded and made available after the event as podcasts.